Friday 1 February 2019

Snow Joke



After a few days of there being snow in a lot of other places in the UK, winter finally decided to arrive into the fine city of York today. Whilst in my younger years I would have welcomed it, I can't really say the same of it these days. The problem I have with it, is that it's not a proper winter. Let me explain...

Back when I was a kid and living in the states, the winter months were some of the best there. Sure it was cold and you had to get all wrapped up, but when you're 5 and it means that you get to play in the snow, you don't mind it as much. I still have fond memories of playing in a 8 foot deep snowdrift left over from a snow-plow and digging a hole so I could have a snowball fight. Yet despite it being cold and there being a lot of snow, people didn't really complain about it and stuff kept open and running. Even the airports remained open, I remember flying into Chicago and landing in the middle of a snowstorm. That was an interesting landing...

In the UK however, as soon as a few flakes of snow hit the ground the entire country shuts down. Railway companies cancel trains, roads get clogged and the whole populace starts moaning and groaning. Whilst it is true that we don't get as heavy snow as some places do, surely we should be able to keep things running? A country with a GDP as high as it is should be able to cope with a bit of frost and a small scattering of snow.

Whilst I understand the world has changed since I was a kid, I still think that the winters that we experience now in the UK pale in comparison to some of the ones which I experienced in the states. I will grant that it is cold though, the duck lake was frozen over this morning, we've finally had some snow stick and I finally saw it Snow after not seeing it snow for nearly 2 years.

I'll sign off by leaving you with an appropriate melodeath song for the current UK climate:



No comments:

Post a Comment